Thursday, July 8, 2010

Days

So. Many people ask me: what is a typical day like? Well. There really is no such thing as a "typical" day, every day has its different challenges, tasks, priorities, and surprises! But, what I can tell you is some of the things I have been doing for the past six weeks. On monday's wednesdays and fridays I work in the shop as the seller. Occasionally that means sitting for hours and listening to music and reading a book. But more often than not. I'll be doing things like:
Hand sewing: buttons, button holes, trimmings, and flowers onto headbands, bracelets, necklaces, scarfs and samples.
Crocheting: longs strips for bracelets, headbands, necklaces.
Knitting: large widths for samples on new shirt/dress designs
Sorting: buttons, tags, flowers, circles (circles of fabric used in many of KK designs)
Organizing: inventory, files, tags, and just about anything.
...and of course selling! Which we all wish we did more of!

On days that i'm not working in the store: tuesday, thursday, saturday, sunday. My days have comprised primarily of. Running errands around Phnom Penh, going to different markets in search of things like: elastic, screen printing ink, buttons, crochet hooks, pens, envelopes, cleaning products, shelves, thread, fabric, second hand clothes, silk screens, vintage finds for the store etc. etc. and Cleaning/Organizing/Overhauling: the kitchen, the workshop (work room, kitchen, and bedrooms), and the storage room (including scraping the ceiling, going through endless bags of scraps, and re-organizing the stock.) Lets just say, when your company is about recycling everything. NOTHING gets thrown away!!!

These are just a few examples of everyday things. In my free moments you will usually find me at Java Cafe. Interneting and enjoying the AC and sweets! I have a bad habit of revolving my day around when I can have cake. And coffee. drinking lots. and lots of coffee.

1 comment:

  1. haha Tory, this SO describes my life in Cambodia, especially Java Cafe!! Loved reading some of your entries. Looking forward to meeting you in LA!!
    -sasha

    ReplyDelete